Monday, May 24, 2010

Love Plane

This evening I read an article online written by AOL's "mystery flyer." This under cover reporter is writing a series, flying on the busiest airlines & spilling the dirty details of their experience from booking to landing. The first airline to be critiqued-United. The assessment was mostly positive, mostly. The onboard service received the lowest rating of 2.5 out of 5. Ouch. However silly it may be I cannot help but take this personally. It is tough to remember that I am 1 of 15,000 flight attendants & can only be concerned about my own job performance. I do sincerely wish that everyone was as happy to show up to work as I am. But I also wish that the passengers could put themselves in our ugly shoes from time to time.

During the second beverage service on a flight from DC this afternoon a woman seemed perplexed by the cart in the aisle & asked what we were serving. My flying partner replied "beverages" & looked away knowing this woman was special needs, enter...me. The passenger asked what we had, calmly & sweetly I went through the drink menu, the entire drink menu. After a long pause she explained that she was very thirsty, & asked "what is good for thirst?" I really wanted to give this dipshit 2.5 service, but I just couldn't help myself. I smiled, told her how great water was for thirst & threw in a wink for good measure.

After landing last night a family was upset because we wouldn't call for wheel chairs for their children who didn't want to walk. It was all I could do not to haul off & point out the Cancer patient who was graciously waiting for the chair that she NEEDED.

Flying isn't what it used to be, not even close. This is true for passengers & flight attendants alike. Getting hissed at for not having pillows, blankets, or pretzels sucks royally. If I had a dollar for every eye roll I would be a rich bitch. I'd love nothing more than my passengers to fly on a stack of pillows wrapped in down blankets, choking down an Auntie Anne's. Until that dream comes true, can't we all just be sweet?

No comments:

Post a Comment