Monday, November 9, 2009

Head Trauma Drama


I knew it was bound to happen sooner or later--I had my first onboard medical emergency. I missed all the drama however because the emergency was ME!

I was working the redeye from Maui to Denver after a fabulous 34 hour layover. I was chit chatting with some senior mama's in the first class galley when I suddenly felt really ill. I became dizzy & my vision went black. What they tell me is that I fell & hit my head on the door on the way down, then apparently suffered a mild seizure. When I came to they were administering Oxygen & a doctor was checking me out. The first class cabin got quite a show! I was only out for a couple of minutes but my crew was absolutely amazing. They worked so quickly calling for help & getting all of the emergency equipment prepared. The Purser joked he was disappointed he didn't get to use the AED--I think he just wanted to tear my dress open ;)

For the rest of the flight I was positively miserable, I vomited 6 times-a personal record. I thought throwing up out a cab window was awful, nothing is worse than an airplane bathroom. The sweet lil Doc looking after me kept trying to rehydrate me with fluids but I just couldn't keep anything down. I had one more helping of Oxygen & an icepack on my head when not 1 but 2 passengers asked me for some ridiculous something! Never has there been a more appropriate WTF moment. As a precaution a paramedic met the flight in Denver, mind you I was mortified. I don't mind attention in any instance but this one-I felt so embarrassed & silly. They wanted to take me to the hospital there but it was my choice & I wanted nothing more than to be home. I dead headed home to LA promising that I'd get checked out first thing when I landed.

Nurse Cassie found me an ER to visit which I did at her urging. I was issued the standard gown which does even less for me than the polyester potato sack & of course I had a cute young McDoctor. I was doing my best to be coy & cute after profusely yakking all night, no easy task. I wanted to be his favorite head trauma patient of the day. I must have been working that gown because before I was released he gave me his digits reminding me that when I left I was technically no longer his patient. Long (4 hr!) story short they did an EKG & CT, both came back normal. They kept me just to rehydrate me & socialize I think, I was definitely the hit the the ER. I gave Steve relationship advice, told Amy how impressed I was for working full time & going to school, told Mike I'd definitely see him at Gasser's in Redondo, & congratulated Trav on the new baby.

McDreamy came over for wine at the apartment even though his instructions were rest & plenty of water. I was excited for his arrival even though I was utterly exhausted. Turns out he was McDreamier in his scrubs. He is kind, smart, funny, blah blah. Great on paper, terrible on the lips. He kissed me goodnight & I just kept thinking "why is his mouth so mad at my mouth?" My lips are considering filing charges for the assault. He was the worst ever, I had to fight from laughing when he complimented my phenomenal kissing skills. Next!

This day has felt like 3. I have been up for 35 hrs! 2:30am, time to get that rest McSucky ordered.....

2 comments:

  1. I'm so bad- I'm just now catching up on my blogs. omgosh! only YOU would come home from the ER with digits. Ha! I am SOOOOO glad you're okay, and happy to know you had Nurse Cassie to push you into the ER. I freakin' miss you so much! TAKE CARE OF YOURSELF!

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks Kristen! i miss you too. i love that no one is surprised about the Doc- too bad it didn't work out, such a waste of a handsome physician with a house in Hermosa! kiss that beautiful baby for me ;)

    ReplyDelete